Sunday, January 23, 2011

Vista machine on the verge of death? Ubuntu OS can help!

Recently, I’ve had a couple machines running windows vista thrown into my lap. In each case I ended up installing Ubuntu and saw a huge change in performance. Here are two examples.
The first was my own old toshiba laptop (dual core AMD 1.8 – 4GB ram) which overheated one too many times and was rendered useless. Vista Boot-time from complete shutdown was 8 minutes+. This was with nothing else starting up. The busy light would flicker for 8 solid minutes before finally stopping and becoming somewhat stable. I tried cleaning the machine’s hard temp files, registry, and even uninstalling all but essential software. I even restored vista on this machine with no improvement.
A few months passed and I had moved on to my Alien-ware M11x. But something about how my old LT died really bothered me. When Ubuntu 10.10 came out I decided to try it out, and my old LT was the lab rat. Ubuntu installed very easily (about 20 minutes) it picked up my wireless hardware right away and was fully updated 30 minutes after install. Once all finished I did a reboot. 19 Seconds to boot. I was surfing the internet, running games (linux based of-course) and using it for programming. It’s was like a brand new machine all over again. I now use it as a reliable backup machine and sync all my work files to it with spyder oak.

0 comments:

Post a Comment